Walk 25 Stocksbridge, Le tour à pied'
Broomhead Moor from Whitwell Moor
This walk is approximately parallel to the route taken by the Tour de France ('Le Tour') when, as part of 'Le Tour de Yorkshire,' circled Stocksbridge on Sunday 6th.July 2014. We pick up the route at Langsett, pass through Midhopestones, ascend to both Barnside and Broomhead Moors and skirt the Canyards before leaving the route at High Bradfield. Included are parts of one of the stage two climbs, 'Le Côte de Midhope.'
Please be aware the ladder stile on Gill Royd Lane, instruction 11 in the printed leaflet has been removed.
The grid reference for the location is 224989. The pdf below has been revised with new instructions for this part of the walk.
- Grade - Mostly well defined paths, some open moorland, rough ground and stiles. Can be muddy in places.
- Start - Langsett Barn Car Park. parking is free. It does get busy, so if it is busy use the lay-by 200 m further up the hill.
- Grid Reference - SE 210 004, 53.5003°N, 1.6836°W
- Public transport - bus 23 and 23A from Barnsley and Stocksbridge stops at the Waggon and Horses Inn. National Express route 350 (Liverpool - Cambridge) stops by request at Langsett. Bus 61 from Hillsborough visits High Bradfield.
- Refreshments -Bank View cafe - Langsett, Waggon and Horses, Langsett,
- Public Toilets - Langsett Barn car park
Marie Curie Cancer Care was the official charity partner for the Tour de
France Grand Départ 2014 in the UK.